7.4.09

Nevada Weir.

Nevada Weir is a travel/documentary photographer. She travels all over the world to take photos. She specializes in the remote areas of the world and the cultures that inhabit them. Her journeys have taken her through many obscure areas of the world, including Southeast Asia, India, China, Nepal, Africa, New Zealand, Central Asia, Mongolia, and South America. "I travel to have experiences, and the photography aspect heightens that, because the camera forces me to come in closer, become involved and notice what people are doing. I'm trying to capture on celluloid one instant or feeling or action or moment in their lives that has to be fairly poignant."(Nevada Weir) She has been published by many national and international publications such as: National Geographic Adventure, National Geographic, Geo, Islands, and Outdoor Photographer. Before becoming a professional photographer, Nevada used to take snapshots as a hobby while she lead Outward Bound tours. In December of 2000, she planned and pitched an expedition to Africa with National Geographics. There she photographed the people and places along the wild African river.

Today, Nevada Weir has merged her tour guiding career with her photography career, and has created a business for herself doing photo tours. Nevada believes that in order to be a good photographer, you must feel comfortable with the act of photographing people. "I think the most important thing is feeling comfortable with the actual act of photographing people. I've found, in teaching, that often people feel shy or intrusive, or that it's rude. -- In order to photograph people, you can't feel that way. I sincerely believe that photographing someone is a compliment. It's a sign that you find someone interesting." (Nevada Weir)

Nevada Weir shoots using film. She has tried using digital cameras, but doesn't like them and thinks that film is much more practical for her out in the remote areas she travels in. "I don’t need that instant replay, and they're technically much more difficult to work with in the field. It's more practical for me to use film and then [digitize an image] if I need to."(Nevada Weir)

I strongly admire Nevada Weir and her work. I would love to have the opportunity to do what she's doing, and travel the world to take photographs. When I look at her images, it makes me want to get out there and discover new places and new cultures. I have always wanted to go to Africa to take photos, and when I see Nevada's images, it really inspires me and encourages me to want to do that even more. I think that she is leading a truly fascinating life, doing something that she loves, and I admire that very much. I also like the fact that she says you must feel comfortable with the aspect of photographing people in order to be a successful photographer. I agree with that, and it is something that I am working on right now. Since I am shy, I usually find myself uncomfortable approaching people and asking if I may photograph them. I am working on trying to get more comfortable doing that though, because I know that it is important.

To see more of her work, please visit her website: http://www.nevadawier.com/SlideShow/port.htm

Sources
http://www.nevadawier.com/bio.html
http://www.photomediagroup.com/pmm/issues/Winter2001/profile.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan,
    A couple of corrections are in order on your section about Nevada Wier - her last name is spelled WIER. Also, it's clear from her equipment list on her website that she shoots digtal, not film. She mentions that she retains a film body while traveling, but purely as a backup to her digial equipment.

    ReplyDelete

Followers